Alexandra Puppelo, Bradley-trained birth doula and childbirth educator for York, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Baltimore area
***I am offering virtual doula services! Contact me for more information using the form below ***
A doula is a wonderful asset to your birth team. My care as a doula is informed by the Bradley Method, which means that I am supportive of you and your partner, if you have one, working together as a team and will facilitate your partner as your go-to person. If you have a partner, I want your birthing experience to be filled with memories of your partner supporting you throughout! I will coach and support both of you. I also support women without partners as their coach and support, but I always encourage moms to have a person close to them and their baby present if possible, as having multiple supports can be a beautiful gift to you and can make your experience that much richer.
Doulas provides physical, emotional, and mental support for a woman in pregnancy, labor, delivery, and in the immediate postpartum period. Through my knowledge of the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth and my never-ending thirst for knowledge of all things birth, I have a body of knowledge to draw from to answer questions and help you to gain informed consent from your providers. Whether you are having a planned homebirth, a planned Cesarean, or anything in-between, I am overjoyed to be a part of your birth experience. Every woman deserves a positive birth experience, regards of the challenges along the way. **I do not provide medical advice, but will provide research and ask and answer questions to help you to have the experience you want**
As a Bradley Method(TM) doula, I know about many, many pain management techniques to support a woman in natural labor, but I am also well-informed on the challenges of supporting a mom with an epidural or through a Cesarean and can joyfully support you to have your ideal birth experience regardless of the route it takes.
My "base" is in York, but I am able to travel throughout the region, including to parts of Maryland. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions!
Discounted rates are provided to students taking my Bradley Method classes.
What experience do I bring with me? What tools can you expect me to pull from as your doula?
- Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth knowledge base and techniques, including training partners as coaches (in the time available)
- Many relaxation techniques, some of which we will practice in our prenatals, focusing on physical, mental, and emotional relaxation
- Natural pain management techniques
- Understanding of how to work with your body to manage pain and emotional distress naturally and under medication
- Spinning Babies informed techniques **I am not certified in Spinning Babies but am aware of and practice these techniques informally**. Spinning Babies techniques can help moms speed labor and have a more comfortable laboring and birthing experience by helping to assess baby's position and help mom to move baby into ideal positions for birth, in pregnancy and during labor
- Nutrition counseling for the pregnant woman
- Exercise counseling for the pregnant woman
- Rebozo techniques for a faster and more comfortable labor experience
- Lactation support after birth and guidance and advice prior to birth
- Babywearing knowledgeable, can consult
- Cloth diaper knowledgeable, can consult
- Postpartum support
- Fear release techniques
- If desired, faith-based support--I am a practicing Catholic and, only for those who desire it, I am happy to pray with you and/or use your faith however is meaningful to you in your labor and birth experience
What does a doula package include?
Package Price: $1000
- 2 prenatal visits (time permitting)
- Email and phone support throughout your pregnancy and postpartum period
- Doula support from active labor onward at the birthing site
- If requested, doula support at home earlier in labor
- In case of induction: If you wish, meeting you at the hospital at the beginning of induction. Support begins once in active labor (I will return at that time)
- Lactation support after birth
- Generally, up to 1 hour of postpartum support at the birth place
- Birth photography--I am not a professional photographer, but I do have a DSLR camera and can document your labor and birth if you would like
- Birth photos on a disc or flash drive (if applicable)
- 1 postpartum home visit to deliver images (if requested), provide lactation support, etc.
- 1 rebozo for your use in pregnancy and for me to use to support you during labor (yours to keep)
- Notes on your labor and birth
- Receipt with codes to reimburse to insurance and assistance from me to get this covered for you (will provide documentation, letters, etc.)
- Video add-on. I am not a professional videographer, but I can document your labor and birth with video if you would like. This includes a disc with raw footage and a montage. Some may be filmed with a tripod so that I can support you best. $200
- Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth classes. Standard 12 week series (includes discount off of doula services). $375
- Childbirth Class condensed series. Private series tailored to the time available and the birthing person's needs Price Varies, contact for details
- Natural Baby & Baby Care class. Class session about cloth diapering, safe co-sleeping, babywearing, baby led weaning, attachment / gentle parenting, breastfeeding (including combined feeding and feeding in unusual circumstances--I am a low supply mom with extensive knowledge on lactation challenges and how to overcome them!), elimination communication, baby sign language, and more $30
- Postpartum Care class. Class session to prepare you for your needs postpartum. $30
See more about classes here: https://mama-roo.com/collections/childbirth-classes
What can you expect from me as your doula?
- Gentle, loving support
- Empathetic, caring nature
- Knowledgeable and willing to research more whenever needed
- Positive and encouraging
- Comforting and understanding
- I will never tell you what to do, but I will listen to your needs and provide you guidance and support to achieve your goals
- I will not provide medical advice, but I will help you to communicate effectively with your providers and will help you to find research from credible, reliable sources to make informed choices that you feel good about and that facilitate a relationship with your provider and partner, not draw a wedge between you
- I am fully vaccinated to protect you and your family and stay up-to-date
- Honesty is incredibly important to me. I will not lie to you, I will be up-front, I will stay in communication with you, and I will always keep you informed. You can trust that I care about you and will not lead you astray.
- I will have a back-up ready in the event that I cannot attend your birth
Interested in learning more?
Give us a call at 717-814-8538 or contact us using the form below. We can schedule a free meet-and-greet to see if we are a good fit for each other! In the form, please include your due date and intended place of birth. If you are interested in classes, please indicate that as well.